ST. JOHN’S EPISCOPAL/ANGLICAN CHURCH

4012 34TH St

Mt. Rainier, MD 20712

Vestry Meeting |Minutes

Tuesday, January 19th, 2021 | 7:30pm  | Meeting location Zoom

Meeting called by        David Creese (Senior Warden)

 

Attendees: Deanie Anderson; David Creese (Senior Warden); Theodosia M. Edwards, Leslie Rogers-Wright, Naomi Scott; Egerton

Forster-Jones (Junior Warden); Neil Knights, Donald Davies; Leslie Rogers-Wright, Theodosia Edwards; Leslie Wilson; Fredericka Ortiz; Julius

Morrison, Donald Davies; RichardGabbidon; Joan Stuart.

Absences: Andrew Asaboro (Youth Representative); Kendall Bramble.

Type of meeting: Regular Transition Vestry Meeting

Facilitator: Deanie Anderson on the behalf of David Creese

Note taker: Theodosia M. Edwards (Vestry Member and Clerk of the Vestry)

Timekeeper: N/A

 

MEETING PROCEEDINGS

●    The previous meeting which was scheduled for January 12th was postponed due to the lack of quorum.

●   Meeting started at 7:38  pm. Opening prayer -Prayer offered by Egerton Forster-Jones.

●   Deanie asked for the minutes from the December 14th meeting to be reviewed for corrections and or revisions.

Item #1 Review of previous minutes

Discussion: Vestry members were given time to review the minutes which they had received electronically on 12/15/20 and reshared on 1/19/21.

 

 

Item #1 Corrections to the minutes-

Discussion: No corrections were made.

Conclusion: Minutes accepted and seconded by Egerton Forster Jones and Leslie Wilson respectively.

Item #2 Matters Arising from the Previous Meeting Minutes

Discussion:

●   No follow-ups from the solar panel sales persons.

●   Since the last meeting, the copier repayment deal has been signed. All pertinent documents posted on

the vestry Whatsapp forum.

●   Finance-budget posted, but will be discussed under new business. The church received $22,000. $16,

000 was used to pay for the copier transaction, while the remaining $6000 was used to pay back

salaries for (Sandra Bramble, David Cole and Cornelius Johnson).

●   The diocese has approved for the reopening plan to be implemented. Some tweaks needed for the

plan to be fully implemented.

●   Announcements being made to encourage members to pledge an additional $100 each month.

●   The donation from the diocese was received. Father Darko received his back pay. A thank you letter

was sent to the diocese. Father Darko sent in an acknowledgement letter.

●   No new information reported about the planned church audit.

●   Nominations for the vestry elections are in. We received the equal number of nominations for each of

the open positions. A vote may not be needed. Since Deanie Anderson is the only nominee for the

Senior Warden position, her position will be up during the election.

●   The election and church meeting will be held on January 31st, 2021  immediately following the service.

The meeting will be held on Zoom. Nominations closed on January 17th, but will be reopened on the

floor.

●   Sonia Anderson met with Al (the person who services the boiler). Al will be submitting a servicing plan

which will be submitted to the vestry. Theodosia Edwards asked about why the Junior Warden was

not involved in the decision. Sonia Anderson provided an answer as to how she got involved with

contacting Al.

 

1.    Matters arising from minutes

Conclusion: See above.

 

(Format):

Action Items

Person Responsible

Timeline

 

No follow-ups from the solar panel sales persons.

David Creese will reach out to Sandra Bramble for her to follow-up with the men.

The diocese has approved for the reopening plan to be implemented.

David Creese and Sandra Bramble

Announcements being made to encourage members to pledge an additional $100 each month.

Deanie Anderson

None.

 

No new information reported about the planned church audit.

Fredericka Ortiz and Joan Stuart

On-going.

 

Nominations for the vestry elections are in. We received the equal number of nominations for each of the open positions. A vote may not be needed. Since Deanie Anderson is the only nominee for the Senior Warden position, her position will be up during the election.

Deanie Anderson will make announcements about the meeting and the need for an additional nomination for the vestry.

Deanie Anderson

On-going.

 

The election and church meeting will be held on January 31st, 2021 immediately after the service. Nominations closed on January

17th, but will be reopened on the floor.

Vestry

On-going.

 

Sonia Anderson met with Al (the person who services the boiler). Al will be submitting a servicing plan which will be submitted to the vestry. Theodosia Edwards asked about why the Junior Warden was not involved in that decision. Sonia Anderson

provided an answer as to how she got involved with contacting Al.

Sonia Anderson will provide the information to the Junior Warden.

On-going.

 

Bishop Marianne has been tentatively scheduled to visit  St. John’s on June 20th.

Vestry

On-going.

 

Item #3 New Business: Finance Team Committee/ Stewardship Committee-Annual Pledge

Drive Update

Discussion:

●   Fredericka has received three pledge forms. The approximate pledges received totals less than

$3,000.

●   Mr. Gabbidon suggested that members should be able to call-in their pledges.

●   Theodosia Edwards and Leslie Rogers-Wright suggested the use of a Google Form type of survey.

●   There is already a fillable form on the website that members can complete. Deanie will share the form

with Leslie Rogers-Wright so that it can be posted on the Whatsapp forum for the church.

Conclusion

●   Leslie Rogers-Wright will create the survey and share with Deanie Anderson.

 

Action Items

Person Responsible

Timeline

 

Deanie will share the pledge form with Leslie Rogers-Wright so that it can be posted on the Whatsapp forum for the church.

Deanie Anderson and Leslie Rogers-Wright

On-going.

 

Item #4 New Business: Budget for year 2021 including the review of staff contracts

Discussion:

●   Utilities and cleaning all factored into the budget.

●   No one has access to the contracts of staff members.

●   Fredericka will reach out to Kojo Dixon. David Creese will also search Father Darko’s office to

see if he can locate the contract of the staff members.

●   Deanie will reach out to Brian Roman to explore the minutes archives to locate references to

the contracts/terms of service for staff members during vestry meetings.

●   Leslie Wilson suggested that the vestry should work with individual church organizations so

that they can help to close the budget gap.

●   The proposed budget for 2021 has a deficit of $32,745.92.

Conclusion:

 

Action Items

Person Responsible

Timeline

 

Fredericka will reach out to Kojo Dixon. David Creese will also search Father Darko’s office to see if he can locate the contract of the staff members.

Fredericka Ortiz and David Creese

On-going.

 

Deanie will reach out to Brian Roman to explore the minutes archives to locate references to the contracts/terms of service for staff members during vestry meetings.

Deanie Anderson

On-going.

 

Leslie Wilson suggested that the vestry work with individual church organizations so they can help to close the budget gap.

Vestry

On-going.

 

The proposed budget for 2021 has a deficit of $32,745.92. This gap has to be closed.

Vestry

On-going.

 

 

Item #5 New Business: Church audit update

Discussion:

Fredericka and Joan continue to gather and collect the documents. Fredericka asked about how we can afford an audit that may cost up to $24,o00 if we are in a deficit?

Documents for 2016 and 2017 found. Documents for 2019 have not been located.

Conclusion:

●   Document collection is on-going.

 

Action Items

Person Responsible

Timeline

 

Documents will be collected for an audit.

Fredericka Ortiz and Joan Stuart

On-going.

 

The finance team will have to help put the documents together.

Finance Committee

On-going.

 

Item #9 Junior Warden updates

Discussion:

The folks from the timeshare company promised to send in more additional information. Mr. Egerton will reach out to them.

Mr. Egerton will continue to research bulk trash companies to pick up bulk trash from the church.

Conclusion:

●   On-going.

 

Action Items

Person Responsible

Timeline

 

The folks from the timeshare company promised to send in more additional information. Mr. Egerton will reach out to them.

Egerton Forster-Jones

On-going.

 

Mr. Egerton will continue to research bulk trash companies to pick up bulk trash from the church.

Egerton Forster-Jones

On-going.

 

 

Item #10 Any Other Business (AOB)

Discussion:

●   Leslie Wilson indicated that the Small Business Administration (SBA) loans opened up today.

●   Naomi Scott asked if we can locate documentation to qualify for the loan.

●   Leslie Wilson suggested that we apply for the Small Business Administration grant.

Conclusion:

●   The finance team should review options for the SBA grant.

●   Layard Pabs-Garnon will serve as the church treasurer starting next year if the vestry votes on it.

 

Action Items

Person Responsible

Timeline

 

The finance team should review options for the SBA grant.

The finance team.

On-going.

 

Layard Pabs-Garnon will serve as the church treasurer starting next year if the vestry votes to confirm.

Vestry

When the term of the new vestry begins.

 

No other new quotes received for the cleaning of the church,

Deanie Anderson will interface with the Women and Men of St. John’s organizations.

Deanie Anderson

On-going.

 

 

The outgoing members of the vestry shared their appreciation for being given the opportunity to serve on the vestry (David Creese, Leslie Wilson, Naomi Scott) Non-Vestry participants (Joan Stuart and Fredericka Ortiz).

Fredericka suggested that the outgoing members help with the SBA grant.

David will send out the agenda for the church’s annual meeting to the vestry forum.

 

 

Next vestry meeting:

●   Vestry meeting will be on Tuesday, February 9th, 2021 at 7:30pm.

●   Agenda for the next meeting: will be provided.

Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned by Egerton Foster-Jones and seconded by Joan Stuart.

Closing Prayer:  Egerton Forster-Jones said the closing prayer.

 

In His Service,

Dr. Theodosia M. Edwards

Vestry Member and Clerk of the Vestry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vestry Meeting |Minutes

 Monday, December 14, 2020 | 7:00pm  | Meeting location Zoom

 

 Meeting called by        David Creese (Senior

Warden)

Type of meeting          Regular Transition Vestry

Meeting

Facilitator(s)               David Creese/Egerton

Forster Jones

Note taker                   Theodosia M. Edwards

Timekeeper                 N/A

 

Attendees: Members present: Deanie Anderson Egerton Forster-Jones David Creese

Theodosia Edwards Sandra Bramble Donald Davies Leslie Wilson Richard Gabbidon

Fredericka Hamilton

Neil Knights Julius Morrison Naomi Scott Kenny Bramble Joan Stuart

 

(Alfred During/Sonia Anderson - update on printer)

(Kevin Stewart & partner - presentation pitch for solar system)

 

 Absences: Andrew Asaboro (Youth Representative); Kendall Bramble; Leslie Rogers-Wright.

 

 

  AGENDA TOPICS

 

Proposed agenda shared with the vestry on December 12, 2020 via WhatsApp.

 Agenda – Vestry meeting

Monday, December 14th, 2020

 1.   Opening Prayers

2.  Minutes

3.   Matters arising from minutes

4.  New Business

●   Stewardship Committee-Annual Pledge Drive

●   Donation from the diocese-thank you letter

●   Final payment to Father Darko with letter

●   Update on printer contracts

●   Church audit update

●   Solar Panel

●   Vestry elections logistical plan

5.   Resolution on the TimeShare and next steps

6.  Report from the Finance Committee

7.   Budget for year 2021

8.  Junior Warden updates

 

MEETING PROCEEDINGS

 ●    Meeting started at 7:07pm. Opening prayer -Prayer offered by Kevin Stewart (representative from the solar company).

Item #1 Solar Presentation

 ●    Discussion: Two men shared about the savings associated with solar energy. They shared that the government provides funding to offset costs. One of them stated that some organizations rent out solar panels, while others sell them.

●    They stated that if the church pays about $2400 each year for electricity, in 10 years, the church would pay $24,000. Once the payment is completed for the solar panel, no bills will be paid by the church for energy. Our current average bill for energy is $400.

●   According to the presenters, the church will see financial benefits through 2044.

 

Conclusion: The vestry will discuss the pros and cons of installing solar panels at the church before a vote is taken.

 

 

 Item #2 New Business: Update on printer contracts

 

 Discussion:

 ●    According to Sonia Anderson, per Mr. Isaac Washington-who was the copier salesperson, a check for $32,000 was previously presented to Kojo Dixon to pay off the previous copier. The church cashed the check, did not pay for the copier, and returned one of the copiers. Ultimately, the church received three different copiers from Toshiba.

●    Per Sonia Anderson and Ebun During, they reached out to the payment recovery company and they negotiated a payoff amount. The amount to be paid now is $16,000 instead of $47,000.

●    Mr. Washington from Toshiba will provide $22,000 to the church. The church will get a new copier which is smaller. The church will not begin to make payments until March of 2021. The monthly bill will be $590. The current bill is $910.

●   The church can renew the contract in 3 years.

●   The deal negotiated by the church representatives is good through December 18th. If not,

renegotiation will need to restart.

Conclusion:

 

 

 The vestry needs to discuss and agree to the terms discussed between the church and the representatives who negotiated with them.

 

Vestry

On-going.

 

Deacon Bramble and Davivd Creese will review the various specs from the new printer during installation.

 

A request can also be made to Mr. Washington to provide the specs of the new copier.

Deacon Bramble, David Creese, Ebun During and Sonia Anderson

On-going.

 

A copy of the contract will be shared with the vestry.

Deanie Anderson

No timeline provided.

 

Item #3 Report from the Finance Committee

 Discussion: Mr. Egerton Forster-Jones shared a report from the Finance Committee.

●   Proposed budget of $95,000

●   Salaries for church staff

●   Organist-19,987

●   Director of Music -$15,934.88

●   Church Administrator- $23,196.42

●   Utilities -Pepco average $7200

●   Mr. During will review the utility bills to determine if money can be saved.

●   No line item identified for janitorial services.

●   Church insurance $7200 needs to be repaid to the diocese.

●   Proposal to renegotiate the salary contracts of the three staff.

●   The Women and Men and St. John’s will pay for janitorial services when church resumes.

Deanie stated that they have already received quotes from three vendors.

Conclusion:

 

●    The vestry will vote to accept the recommendation for janitorial services from the men and women’s group.

 

 

 

 

 

Discussion: Vestry members were given time to review the minutes which they had received electronically on 11/24/20.

 

 Item #5 Corrections to the minutes-

 Discussion: Correction none.

Conclusion: Amended minutes accepted and seconded by David Creese and Noami Scott respectively.

 

 

 Item #6 Matters Arising from the Previous Meeting Minutes/New Business: Stewardship

 

Committee-Annual Pledge Drive

Discussion:

 ●    Vestry members should read the plan sent by the Stewardship Committee. The committee is asking the vestry to reach out to members via telephone to ask them to pledge more.

Conclusion

 

 

Vestry members should read the plan sent by the Stewardship Committee.

 

 

 The committee is asking the vestry members to reach out to members via telephone to ask them to increase their pledges with $100 more each month.

 

 

 Fredericka will provide a list of reliable pledgers from 2019 to the Stewardship Committee. They will call members to encourage them to pledge.

 

Fredericka Ortiz

 

Announcements will be made to encourage members to give an extra $100 each month for pledges.

 

 

 Item #7 New Business: Donation from the diocese-thank you letter

 

 Discussion:

●   Payment still pending until the check from the diocese is received.

 Conclusion:

●   Payment still pending.

 

 

 Item #8 New Business: Final payment to Father Darko with letter

 

Discussion:

●    Payment still pending until the check from the diocese is received.

Conclusion:

●   Payment still pending.

 

 

 Item #9 New Business: Church audit update

 

 Discussion:

●   No additional updates available. Joan and Fredericka continue to search for documents from

2018 and 2019. They haven’t been able to locate a lot of documents.

●   Fredericka has reached out to Kojo and he still refuses to provide support.

Conclusion:

 ●    The senior warden will reach out to Kojo Dixon who apparently is upset that some members of the vestry have expressed their lack of confidence in his undertaking of the tasks as a treasurer.

 

 

 

 

 

 Item #10 New Business: Vestry elections logistical plan

 

Discussion:

 ●    Announcements made about the vestry elections. Volunteers needed to form the elections subcommittee.

●    Brian Roman will create the list of eligible voters and will disseminate to the vestry and the membership.

●    An announcement will be made on the Whatsapp group to ask for outgoing vestry members to supervise the elections process.

Conclusion;

●   Logistical plans are on-going.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Item #11 Resolution on the TimeShare and next steps

 

 

Discussion:

●   14 of the time share properties are sold. Three remaining.

●   The management company will send a written update outlining the details about the

timeshare property.

Conclusion:

●   To be determined.

 

 

 Item #12 Junior Warden updates

 

  Discussion:

●   The boiler has not been serviced in the past two years. Mr. Egerton will reach out to Al’s or

Earls (Sic) Air LLC  to come out to service the boiler.

●   We used to get a free service from Lennox. Unfortunately, Lennox has not responded to calls.

●   Junior Warden is still looking for a bulk trash picking company to pick up the bulk trash from

the church. Mr. Egerton will give the employee from the company a call.

●   The trash people are still saying that we owe them $400 even though they had been

withdrawing money from the church’s account. We need to find another trash picking

company.

Conclusion:

●   The boiler needs servicing.

 

 

 Item #13 Any Other Business (AOB)

 

Discussion:

●   The Bishop is requesting to visit the church on June 20th, 2021.

Conclusion:

●   The Bishop is requesting to visit the church on June 20th, 2021.

 

 

 Next vestry meeting:

 

●   Vestry meeting will be on January 11th, 2021.

●   Agenda for the next meeting will be provided.

Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned by Leslie Wilson and seconded by Theodosia M. Edwards.

Closing Prayer:  Donald Davies said the closing prayer.

 

In His Service,

Theodosia M. Edwards