St. John's Episcopal/Anglican Church is a multi-cultural and diverse-rich community that enjoys Fellowship with one another. We are committed to serving our members and the community in a number of ways including Outreach, Daughters of the King, an active Communications Committee just to name a few.
The purpose of The Mothers’ Union is to be specially concerned with all that strengthens and preserves marriage and Christian family life:
• To uphold Christ’s teaching on the nature of marriage and to promote its wider understanding
• To encourage parents to bring up their children in the faith and life of the Church
• To maintain a World Wide fellowship of Christians united in prayer, worship and service
• To promote conditions in society favorable to stable family life and the protection of children
• To help those whose family's lives have been met with adversity
Group Leader: Jennifer Elba
Stewardship & Evangelism Committee
The Stewardship Committee is primarily responsible for conducting the annual pledge drive and promoting opportunities to volunteer and participate in the life of the church.
The Stewardship Committee works closely with the Vestry to receive and communicate the goals of the Annual Stewardship Pledge Campaign and to help articulate the importance and need to provide the resources necessary to keep our faith community strong and vibrant.
Group Leader: Neil Knights
As outreach to the community of Mt. Rainier and its surrounding areas, once a month St. John’s distributes bags of food for those that are less fortunate.
At this time, food will be distributed by our volunteers in the parking lot at 34th & Shepherd Streets on the 3rd Saturday of each month (weather permitting). Postponements will be noted on our Facebook page).
Group Leader: Desirée Sloane
Men of St. John's
All adult male members of the parish are welcome to participate in the men’s group:
• Develops and encourages the ministries of Men in the parish
• Assesses the needs of Men and the work to develop programs and ministries effective in meeting their needs
Group Leader: Ephraim Johnson
Social & Cultural Committee
The Social & Cultural Committee was established in the early 1990s. This group has been responsible for creating many of the social and cultural events over the years, including the very popular Tea Party. The members of this group bring a lot of diversity in that St. John's celebrates many cultures within its walls. They also plan the after service Coffee Hour - which over the years has been a perfect setting for getting to know new parishioners and catching up with parishioners (old & new).
Group Leader: Fredericka Ortiz-Hamilton
The Communications Committee, in partnership with clergy, vestry, staff and other ministries, provides strategic guidance and hands-on implementation of church communications activities. These include:
St. John's Church Website – includes visitor information, calendar of worship services and ministry activities.
Facebook Page – Follow us on Facebook to stay connected with St. John's and our parish community.
Video Streaming – We provide streaming of St. John's services live on YouTube.
Daughters of the King (DOK)
An Order open to all laywomen dedicated to the spreading of Christ’s Kingdom through prayer, service and evangelism:
• To be Christ’s faithful servant in the extension of His Kingdom
• To regularly take part in the worship, study and work of the Church
• To render at all times aid to the Rector as deemed necessary for the up-building of the parish
Group Leaders: Diana Edwards
Women of St. John's
(1) To provide an organization to encourage service, fellowship, and spiritual growth among the women in the Parish.
(2) To inspire women in the Parish to know Christ personally and be committed to extending His Kingdom in their lives, homes, Church, and communities throughout the world.
(3) To encourage and support all activities of the Parish and
(4) To increase denominational awareness and loyalty.
Group Leader: Hannah Rogers-Wright
Our worship committee meets and helps carry out the vision of the church through the way it worships. The committee plan the ways the church will worship. One duty of this team is to design worship services that nurture and enhance the congregation's worship life.
Group Leader: David Cole
The Seniors' Group is one of our newer groups. It consists of members over age 60. This groups serves as a means of providing meaningful relationships with other seniors. It also serves as encouragement to other seniors. Serves as an outlet for seniors to use their gifts and skills in the church and a means for seniors to participate in the spiritual worth of the church.
Group Leader: Joylyn Davis