On the Calendar
Mid-Week Announcements (week of November 16, 2022)
11:00 AM -
2023 Pledge Drive - To date, we have only received a total of 15 pledges. Stewardship season is over on Dec 4th. Please don’t wait til then to turn in your pledge form.
• If you did not pledge last year, consider $250/month. If you did pledge, consider increasing it by 10%.
• BRING YOUR PLEDGE CARD to worship on
Sundays or pledge online using this QR code
above by December 4!
Wednesday evening Bible study - Hosted by The Mother’s Union Wednesdays at 7:30pm. This week's Gospel passage is Luke 18:9-14. Please call in, participate, and share your thoughts. Conference call in number - (978-990-5000); access code (553883#).
St. John’s needs a Vestry Clerk – The vestry is in need of a clerk and I’m appealing to all parishioners who are great at scribing, to serve as the Vestry Clerk. Please let me know anytime between now or Sunday if you are interested. Thanks in advance!
Sunday School is back!!! Starting next year in January, children’s Sunday School is back in full session. We welcome Ms. Valerie McCree, Mrs. Antoinette Johnson, and Ms. Daverly Cole, as our new Sunday School Instructors. Parents, please mark your calendars for the start date of January 8th, 2023.
Acolytes Schedule – completed thru end of January 2023. All parents received their copy of the schedule, earlier this week. Reminder to parents:
• Please bring your kids to church by 9:30am at the latest, on the Sunday they are scheduled to serve. They have work to do prior to the start of the service, as they are responsible for lighting the altar candles. This is the job of the Acolytes and not the Eucharistic Ministers. Having the Acolytes in by 9:30am gives them time to vest and have the candles lit by 9:50am for service to start at 10am.
• Javan Scott (301.642.7575) is the Acolyte Master; if your child will not be available to serve on their day, please do your best to let Javan know ahead of time or the latest 24hrs in advance so adjustments can be made to the schedule. If you are not able to reach Javan, please call me at 301.233.5855.
Out on Vacation – Starting December 20th through January 11th, the Senior and Junior Warden will be out on vacation. The Treasurer and members of the Vestry will oversee daily operations while we are gone. The Parish Administrator will be available for any and all immediate needs.
End of my Senior Warden term – Earlier this year, I informed the vestry that I will not be seeking a second term when my term ends in January. I’ve thought and prayed about it, and I absolutely cannot seek another term as Senior Warden. There are competing priorities in my life that demand more of my time in the coming year. It has been an absolute honor to serve as
the Senior Warden of St. John’s, but it is time for another parishioner to continue carrying the mantle.
Hour of Prayer and Meditation continues daily, Monday thru Saturday from noon-1pm. If you are available during this hour, call (978-990-5000); access code (553883#) and join the prayer line.
Refugee Coat Drive – The Washington National Cathedral Sanctuary Ministry is organizing a coat drive to assist the Refugees and Asylum-seekers bused in from Texas and Arizona. The Vestry approved our contribution to this venture. The immediate needs are as follows:
▪ Shoes – gently used or new – men’s (size 9 and smaller) and children’s shoes are needed. They will accept women shoes, but their real need is for the men and children’s shoes.
▪ Coats – gently used or new – men’s, children’s, and women’s coats. Most of the folks are small in stature, so they do not need XXL or really large coats.
▪ Backpacks – gently used or new that can be used on buses, planes, trains, etc rather than large black trash bags they have been carrying their stuff in.
Appealing to all parishioners to please consider donating these items needed. Please drop off the items on Sunday as you come in for worship. Thank you and God bless us all.
Thought for the day
The one principle that surrounds everything else is that of stewardship; that we are the managers of everything
that God has given us.
~ Larry Burkett